Chitkara Central Library Rules
|The library services are open to registered members. The following categories of persons are eligible to enroll as members of the Library.
||Registered Research Scholars/Ph.D. students of Chitkara University
|Post Graduate/ Undergraduate
||Registered PG/UG students of Chitkara University
||Regular Teaching staff of the Chitkara University (including visiting faculty) of the rank of lecturer and above, Principle, Director, and Vice Chancellor
||Teaching and Research staff at Chitkara University of the rank of lecturer or its equivalent and above, Non-teaching staff of Chitkara University the rank of assistant registrar and above
||Teaching Assistants, Demonstrators, Laboratory superintendents, assistant engineers, and equivalent posts at Chitkara University
||Administrative and Technical staff of Chitkara University and above, not covered under the Faculty, Associate, and Junior Associate categories
- For enrolment as a Faculty/staff member, an application form duly filled should be submitted at the Library office along with one additional photograph of 1.5″x1.5″ size.
- Membership Card issued to the members is property of the Chitkara University and the Members are required to surrender the same to the Library at the time of leaving the Chitkara University or conclusion of the programme at the Chitkara University.
- Member must carry his University ID card on every visit to the Library, and produce it whenever demanded by the Library staff.
- Member should keep his University ID card safely. He is liable for any use/misuse of his card by others. In the event of loss or theft of the University ID card, the member should immediately inform the help desk.
- Unauthorized use of other members’ University ID cards for using the library services is illegal and liable for disciplinary action.
- Non-members can visit the library only with special permission from the Librarian. The Deputy Librarian/Assistant Librarian shall act in the absence of the librarian. A recommendation from a Head of Department of Chitkara University may be required for obtaining such permission.
|Entrance Inside Library
|All members have to show their University ID card before entering the library. A university ID card is mandatory for use of library services.
The security personnel/Staff at the entrance of the library examine everything that passes into or goes out of the library.
The librarian at his discretion may allow more books or extend the duration of the loan in case of a genuine requirement of the member.
|Only Registered members are entitled to borrow books from the library. The following table provides borrowing privileges for various categories of members and various types of collections.
| Category||B. Tech||M. tech||Research Scholar||Non Teaching Staff||Teaching Faculty|
|Text Books||4 Books for|
|4 Books for |
|10 Books for|
|5 Books for |
|10 Books for|
|General Books||1 Book for|
|1 Book for|
|1 Books for|
|1 Books for|
|1 Books for|
|Reference Books||1 for Over|
|1 for Over|
|1 for Over|
|1 for Over |
|1 for Over
|CD/DVD||1 for Over|
|1 for Over |
|1 for Over|
|1 for Over|
|1 for Over|
- Librarian at his discretion may allow more books or extend duration of loan in case of genuine requirement of the member.
- A member shall be required to produce Membership card to borrow books. In case of library card lost the member should be report immediately in writing to the librarian and a fine of Rs. 500/- will be charged for re-issue of library card.
- Books once issued, should not be brought inside, unless it is to be returned
- Books can’t return on the same day.
- There will be no renewing of books.
- Members cannot issue same author, same title books and same edition.
- GATE PASS – Any reading resource will be allowed for checkout, after checking of library staff sign and stamp. Thereafter verifying the particulars, the Security personal will deliver the books to the borrower.
Books not available for Loan
The following collections are available only for consultation within the library and can be borrowed for a short duration, with special permission of the Librarian only in case of extraordinary circumstances:
Reference books, reference textbooks, standards, current issues of journals, and institutional archive material. But members can use the reprographic service provided by the library.
Due-date for return of books and consequences of delay in return
- All books borrowed from the library must be returned within the stipulated due date. The Librarian however, may recall any book before the due date.
- Members who are moving out of station on leave, project work, Training or any other work should make arrangement to return books borrowed by them.
- The Library normally sends reminders of overdue books from time to time, however, non receipt of such a reminder by a member cannot be accepted as a valid reason for delay in return of books.
- Failure to return books in time will attract the following punitive actions:-
- Fine of Rs. 2 per day will be charged for the overdue book only from undergraduate, Postgraduate students and paid members and there is no fine on Research Scholars /PhD, Faculty, Associates, Junior Associates and Staff members.
- Suspension of Membership: If the member fails to return books even after 15 days from the due-date the membership will be suspended until return of all over-due books standing in his name along with overdue charges.
- Recovery of cost of books: If a member fails to return a book even after 1 month from the due-date, list of defaulters will be sent to the Registrar for recovery of the cost as from the member’s account and/or security. The cost will be calculated as per the Rules, also be applicable if the book is a part or volume of set that cannot be purchased separately.
- Refusal of Registration in the following semester: In case of defaulting student member’s registration to next semester may be refused until return of overdue books.
- Termination of Membership: Membership of habitual defaulters may be recommended for termination of the membership.
- If the borrower leaves Chitkara University Campus/ Hostel and is not expected to return before the due date for returning borrowed material, he should return or renew such material before leaving the city.
- A borrower going on leave with or without salary, deputation, study leave, or extra-ordinary leave will have to return all borrowed material before leaving Chitkara University Campus/ Hostel.
- Calculation of Cost of Books
- Cost of Books to be recovered from a member shall be computed in the following manner:
200% of the Price of books as shown in the Accession Register, OR 150% of price of the book as shown in the accession register + overdue charges if applicable, + Rs. 50, WHICHEVER IS HIGHER.
- In case the price of the books is not available in the accession register, list price of the latest edition in-print or the last edition of out-of-print books will be treated as price of the book for the purpose.
- In case, price of a book received is gratis and its cost is not known, it will be determined by the Librarian.
- Loss or damage of books borrowed from the Library by the member
- In case of loss of books borrowed by the member, the member should immediately inform the Library. He shall be required to make good such loss, by paying the cost of the books so lost within two weeks of informing the Library. The cost will be calculated as per Rule.
- If such a book that has been lost by the member is a volume or part of a set is not available for purchase separately, the member shall have to pay the cost of whole set. In such cases, he may be allowed by the librarian to claim the remaining parts or volumes of the set.
- A member may opt to replace the books lost by him with a new copy of the latest edition. In such case he will also be liable to pay Rs. 50/- as service charge and overdue charges if any, up to the date of his informing the loss to the library. In the event of change in the imprint of the lost book, Librarian’s decision will be final in accepting a different imprint.
- Members are required to keep the books borrowed from the library in good physical condition and not to mark or damage the books. Members should carefully check the books before borrowing for any deficiency and damage and get the same verified by the staff on duty. Members are liable to make good the marking or damage to the books borrowed by them as in the same way as applicable to Rules.
- Books borrowed from the library are for personal study and should not be used for any direct commercial purpose. Copying from the library books is subject to copyright restriction.
- If a member is suffering from a communicable disease that can spread through books, such member should not visit the library and handle the library books. In case such member unknowingly has been handling the books, he should promptly inform the Librarian who would make arrangement for disinfection of the books before re-circulating the same.
- New Collection
- Any student can give direct requirement for new books to librarian by form available in library or online by login in their account. Faculty members have fill book requisition form get sign form HOD in written and submitted to library staff.
Discipline, security and privacy
- All personal belongings should be kept outside the Library at the designated place.
- Own reading material cannot be brought inside the library, except small notebooks for taking notes. Books from one collection should not be taken to another section without permission of the Library staff. For example books from textbook section should not be taken to reading hall or periodicals section.
- Books or other materials taken from the stacks should not be re-shelved by the readers but should be left on the tables reserved for this purpose. Please remember that a book misplaced is a book lost.
- Computer terminals provided in the Library for searching the Online Public Access catalogues, CDROM databases, or retrieving any other online information made available through Library systems. Use of these terminals for any unauthorized purpose, accessing Chitkara University or external networks, changing or damaging the hardware/software settings, data or any other illegal activity will be liable for punitive action. Library will provided printout facility for members on cost.
- Using computers for social media is prohibited. (Computers are only used for education-projects, research E-Journals etc). If any student misuse Internet Inter-disciplinary action will be taken against him or her.
- Silence and order must at all times be maintained in and around the Library. Smoking is not allowed inside the Library. Visitors are expected to maintain a decent and civilized behaviour and mannerism.
- Mobile phone in vibration mode only is permissible.
- Library staffs have a right to ask any person whose presence in their opinion has violated the Rule or whose presence in their opinion will be detrimental to decorum and environment conducive to reading, to leave the library premises. Repeated incidence of such behaviour will attract punitive action.
- All visitors to the library, including members may be subjected to frisking and bag checks, if required. This is necessary to prevent theft of library material.
- Theft and mutilation of the library material, damage or defacing of the library property, and indulging in unlawful activities, indecent or socially unacceptable behaviour will be construed as serious misconduct and people indulging in, encouraging or abating such activities and in possession of unauthorized library books are liable for punitive action by the Institute authorities as well as criminal proceedings.
- The Library may be fitted with detection, vigilance and anti-theft equipment.
- The librarian reserves the right to suspend membership of any member found misbehaving, abusing the library staff or behaving in an indecent manner.
- The librarian may recall any book from member at any time or suspend his/her services without explaining.